A low-carb, super-cheesy zucchini bake recipe that’ll make anyone fall in love with the best (certainly the biggest) of all late-summer veggies.
The Super Easy, Cheesy Zucchini Recipe You’ve Been Looking For
Around this time of year—back-to-school looms, a hint of autumn chill in the air—the surest sign that summer hasn’t quite left us yet is the sight of giant, sun-drenched zucchini lolling around in every raised bed in the neighborhood. They’re at their absolute peak and you’ll feel guilty if you don’t use them, right? But zucchini isn’t always the simplest veggie to use up. There’s the perpetual issue—how do you make zucchini not soggy? Particularly if you’re working with a super large zucchini? Well, we’ve got a boatload of zucchini recipes (none of which result in soggy zucchini) and today we’re adding one more to the mix—this gloriously cheesy zucchini bake! Loaded with two kinds of cheese and crowned with a buttery, crispy topping, it’s a low-carb zucchini recipe that’s impossible not to love.
Step 1: Gather A Few, Simple Zucchini Bake Ingredients
Essentially, this zucchini bake is a cheesy, egg-based casserole. You could eat it as a hearty side dish, or even a vegetarian dinner—just add a green salad and maybe some bread for a light, late summer supper. Or, if you’re trying to keep things low-carb, serve this easy zucchini bake with some grilled salmon or even these delicious grilled scallops. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Spices: nutmeg, cayenne, black pepper and garlic powder
- Dijon mustard
- Cheese! Parmesan and Gruyère cheese.
- Panko bread crumbs
Step 2: Make the Zucchini Not Soggy!
Yes, we have a trick for making sure that this casserole is cheesy and delicious and not soggy in the slightest. Believe it or not, it’s easy to get the moisture out of even the biggest zucchini! You literally wring it out. Here’s how it works:
- Shred the zucchini. The shredding attachment of your food processor is super handy for this, but you can also just use a box grater.
- Grab a kitchen towel and spread the zucchini on it.
- Roll the shredded zucchini up in the towel and wring it out over the sink. You should see lots of liquid come out!
Step 3: Whip Up One Easy, Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Cheese makes anything taste good, right? And we especially love the way that assertive, super-savory Parmesan and nutty Gruyère pair with the slight, mild sweetness of fresh zucchini. Topped with a buttery, crisp dusting of panko for crunch, this zucchini bake will make you fall in love with giant zucchini season (in case you haven’t already). Best of all? It’s super easy to make. Here’s how:
- Prep the zucchini by shredding it, then wringing out as much of the moisture as you can.
- Sauté the onion in a bit of oil until it’s soft.
- Stir together the zucchini, onion, Dijon, spices, eggs, Gruyère and Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup panko.
- Pour the zucchini casserole mixture into a baking dish.
- Make the zucchini bake topping by mixing together melted butter, panko and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle it over the top of the casserole.
- Bake! About 40 minutes at 375°F, until the casserole is set in the middle and golden brown on top. Then, dig in!
Tools You’ll Need:
- 9×13 baking dish
- Kitchen towel
- Food processor with shredding attachment or a box grater.
- Medium skillet
- Mixing bowls